TG3!

Thursday, November 16, 2017


CTE – What is it? In addition, how it affects the NFL and its players.

Greetings,

I decided to talk about CTE because I came across an article on ESPN that say’s – Researchers: Study confirms CTE finding in player tested while living. Courtesy ESPN.

What is CTE? CTE or Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy is a degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma. In CTE, a protein called Tau forms clumps that spread slowly throughout the brain, killing brain cells. CTE has been seen in people as young as 17.

Symptoms for CTE includes.

Mood changes, including depression, irritability, and anxiety.

Headaches, a variety of treatment options exist for headache, including craniofacial therapy, massages.

Memory problems.

The best evidence available today suggest that CTE is not caused by any single injury, but rather it is caused by years of regular, repetitive brain trauma. It has been said that the collisions from Offensive Linemen 1 every single play is like 10 car accidents to the head.

CTE has been found in….

See below –


There has been 41 reported cases of CTE in deceased NFL players. Most of them I grew up watching.

I will be honest, at first when all this CTE stuff came out and the billion-dollar lawsuit followed, I thought it was just a quick money grab. Cause have you noticed it’s only the washed up players who spent all their money complaining about CTE? Have you also noticed that there is NO Hall of Famers or any NFL player who converted their NFL stardom to a comfortable broadcasting gig complaining of CTE? That was until I saw the movie Concussion starring Will Smith. That changed my thought process about what CTE is how it happens and what it can do to NFL players. The Mike Webster part of the movie was truly heartbreaking, and yes, I know everyone is going to say they chose their career path and made millions of dollars so what is the problem.

I am not sure if I was an NFL player and they told me the dangers of traumatic brain injuries if I retired if I would play. Here is a list of NFL players that walked away due to concussions and concerns over concussions and CTE.



Now here is a link I found on ESPN that say’s there’s players living with CTE.


Courtesy of ESPN – William Weinbaum.

This really concerns me, my thoughts about the future of the game of football. There is many NFL players saying they will not let their kids play football. I guess it is a catch 22 right. In one hand, you will be taking away talent but at least you can rule out CTE in a loved one.

The good news is the NFL have taken a stance on helmet to helmet hit’s and are very active and adamant on legal hits and hits to the head. Therefore, I guess the game is safe right.

Time will tell.


Joe Jeremiah

No comments:

Post a Comment